I was single for about 5-6 years I wanna say, or rather not want to… and I’ve been in a serious relationship for 10 and a half months now. I did notice that I changed in some ways, and definitely for the better. Living together didn’t feel like a big step in a sense that we already spent every possible moment together and it just made sense really. It’s been about 8 months so I wrote down 5 things I learnt since living with my boyfriend.
1. Boys like skin care as much as girls do. First it was just “trying out” my charcoal mask, now I go shopping with his skin-needs in mind. I also go through face scrubs and tea tree oil quicker, and thank God I always carry a lip balm with me for those chapped lips.
2. I actually like cooking. I was always a lazy cook, just chucking in a pan whatever was in the fridge, living off of cereal for a week or sandwiches. Now I like to make a proper dinner and sit down to eat it with G. I also make sure he has lunch the next day, and bought him a lunchbox with a little container for dressing and compartments for veggies. It also has a fork and a knife and its from Tiger. You are welcome.
He cooks too of course because we are equal in this relationship, which is important, and I don’t feel like I have to cook , I just somehow came to like it.
3. I am very clingy. This is a new thing for me because I used to love being alone and doing my own thing, but when G says he’s gonna sit in the living room and have his alone time I feel neglected. I like spending time with him even when we don’t do much, like when he is gaming and I read my book. Or he is watching wrestling ( it’s fake, people!!!!) and I just sleep cos it’s bloody 2 am on a Saturday and I am old.
4. You fight and make compromises and that’s how a relationship works. Sometimes it’s serious, other times he snaps at you because he is hangry and you just don’t think crunchy nut peanut butter is a cereal. You also have to be very honest and not bottle up things, and learn to say no when he asks if its okay if he plays rocket league for a bit when it’s already 22.30 and you want a snuggle. Not all the time obviously because you are not his keeper or boss.
5. I love being in love. I love being in a relationship and having to say that I found my special person. Being happy is a new feeling for me , and such a welcomed one as well. It’s been so good for my mental health to have someone with me. To wake up next to someone and think, yeah you are the one even if you drooled on my pillow. ( I’m joking he never drooled on my pillow)